Beckie's best friend, Christina, told me this Spring that she was pregnant again and that she wanted to keep it a secret from Beckie until she came to visit. So this whole time I've kept it from everyone in my family (except Jeff and - only recently - Jennifer - with Christina's permission. Also, on accident I had labeled some photos that I gave to my Mom "4th of July and Christina's shower" so I had to tell her so she would keep it secret too).
Well, Christina had her baby on Saturday and we decided to reveal the secret on Sunday afternoon after church.
I had coordinated with Jennifer to keep Beckie at her place after church (Beckie went to her ward). I left Mary with Jeff, drove to Jen's, we blind-folded her, and hopped into the car and drove to Skyridge Medical Center.
Beckie had guessed that Christina had something to do with this surprise, but she thought it might have to do with her birthday on Monday. Still blind-folded, we took her up the elevator to the second floor. She remembered the smell since she delivered two babies there and said "Are we in a hospital?". Then right as we came up to Christina's room she asked, "Did Christina have a baby??!". Then we stepped into the room and lifted the blindfold. And there to Beckie's surprise was Christina in a hospital bed and her husband to her left holding their newest little baby, Charlotte.
Beckie was definately surprised! I think she almost cried. It was a pretty neat moment. I was glad I got to be a part of it.
It was so much fun orchestrating a surprise! They don't happen very often and I just was so excited planning it! It was fun to tease Beckie too.
Anyway, I didn't get to share any of the details of the shower I threw for Christina because we were keeping it a secret from my family, so I thought I'd share some now.
We decided the theme would be ABC because Christina's girls are Avery, Brielle, and the third was/is Charlotte. I had made ABC blocks (which is an entire post by itself) and lettered sugar cookies for the guests to take home that started with their first initial. I made a cool veggie pizza (this was the biggest hit), a fruit salad, some artichoke dip, and brought some boursin with crackers and also a cake. I ran out of time to make the bruschetta, but I think we had enough food. Christina also made some mini pigs in the blanket. The cake was made by Child's Bakery. Isn't it amazing???
We did a few shower games. The first was baby pictionary. It was probably the best shower game I've ever witnessed. I think everyone had fun. And we also did a game asking questions about Christina.
I really like throwing showers. I've thrown several in my life . . . one for Tara Smith, Heather Lacy, Julie Gedge, Beckie, and now Christina. Many of those years I didn't have any kids yet, but I'd like to think I was being motherly in my own way ; )
Yay for showers, friends, babies, sisters, surprises, and all the good things of life! Le Chaim!!!
Moving away is so bittersweet! It was such an exciting surprise and yet I am sad to have missed such a neat chapter in my dear friend's life! I am very glad I came to visit! I love my sisters/girlfriends!
ReplyDelete