Monday, September 20, 2010

We All Survived


This past weekend, I left for a choir retreat a couple of hours away near Granby at a place called Silver Creek.

I was of course a little nervous about leaving Mary. I left Friday afternoon and got back Sunday afternoon. But though I was anxious, Jeff and I really felt it would be okay. Jeff is very good with Mary and she has done well in the past for the few hours that I have left. I also knew I could come home if it wasn't going well.

Yesterday when I got home, she was sleeping. But when she woke up, Jeff and I both went in to see her and greet her. I picked her up and she was happy. But as Jeff started to leave, she reached out to him. Isn't that sweet?

On Thursday, I called Mary's doctor. I just wanted reassurance that leaving her for a couple of days wouldn't turn my happy, confident child into a nervous one. As I started telling the doctor about it, I got a little choked up and started crying. Her doctor was very sweet to me and I'm sure she has had to deal with crying parents before. I guess I was a bit surprised at my reaction. Sometimes you don't realize how much you feel about something or your need to express something. I had talked with my sisters and Jeff leading up to this - and prayed of course, but I was still apprehensive. After talking with the doctor though - and having that release - I wasn't really nervous anymore. I felt good and peaceful about the decision.

I'm glad to be back. And I'm glad that I get to be the one to take care of Mary most of the time. I'm happy that I have a husband who is a good father and who can take good care of Mary if I need a break or need to go somewhere.

The retreat went well and I enjoyed meeting new people and singing and having a change of pace and scenery. I'm glad I did it!

1 comment:

  1. I think it's great you went and are making sure that you are involved in something you love!!! It's good for dads to be dads without a helicopter mom (describing myself)! Now I just need to find something.

    ReplyDelete