Monday, September 27, 2010

Light Rail Tale

My husband, as you know, is riding the train to work these days. He wrote this little anecdote last week that I thought you all might enjoy . . . .

"So yeah, this morning I'm sitting on the train, working on my little Mac laptop... when I see from out of my window a bearded, gnarly, blind guy making his way down the station to get on. He found his way on the train pretty well, but then finding a seat was a little tough. It required him to feel up and down the passengers until he found one with nobody sitting next to them (me). After a mercifully brief groping, he settled in next to me. He was wearing one of those filthy canvas overcoats with a hood, and of course he draped the hood across my body. Everyone was kind of staring at him, though, so I couldn't peel the garment off myself and make a scene. I just tried to bear it, even though I was imagining all sorts of germs were migrating to my clean, pressed shirt.

After awhile, he got off at an intermediate stop. I resisted the urge to begin frantically brushing off my shirt and checking for smudges. Just as well, because after he got up and left, a gentleman who was.... generously obese took his spot. There was not room enough on the row for myself and both of his legs, so it was nice and cozy. Sigh.

Still, I may have been better off than the lady in a miniskirt the next row over. I'm pretty sure she was surrounded by men who were leering at her the whole way..."

No comments:

Post a Comment