A few weeks ago, Mary and I were listening to some 80's tunes, and Mary - in just her underwear - was looking at herself in the mirror, dancing, and saying, "I'm dancing on the stage!". It reminded me of myself and I mentioned it on Facebook. My Mom commented that it is interesting that a child as young as 2 has an imagination. And I've been thinking about that and noticing that more since.
The fact that Mary does have an imagination, I'm sure doesn't make her exceptional in any way. Most kids do I think. But it is fun to hear what she comes up with.
In just the last few days, I've noticed a few things that she imagined up.
We keep her rocking horse in her room now, and the other day, she was pretending to pull the polka dots off the curtains calling them "money" and was putting them in the horse, so she could ride him (just like the horse at King Soopers).
And then also she likes to pick up pretend spiders and hold them. I ask her what color they are and she'll say brown or yellow or black. And she also likes to hold her pretend skeletens - one with green eyes and one with yellow eyes. Isn't that kind of funny? I don't know why she thinks about skeletons often. I guess Halloween really made an impression on her this year. The spider thing comes - I think - from an Itsy Bitsy Spider video that we watch on YouTube (I posted earlier on FB this week). Also Jeff is always telling her to "smash the spider" whenever we see them.
One other thing that Mary has been doing that I have mentioned here before is putting blankets on herself and saying, "I'm so married!" Again, I'm not quite sure where she picked that up. We haven't talked much about marriage in her young age : ). But she does it a lot.
Yesterday she even wanted to add flowers to the rest of her garb.
She also likes to make waffles using different objects. At meal times she'll stir her spoon in her bowl and say she is mixing the eggs and oil together or in the bathtub she'll stir her brush in a bucket of water.
Kind of going along with that . . .
A few months ago, something really cute happened, and I just never recorded it. So I thought I would now.
Jeff introduced Mary to Angelina the Ballerina on the Sprout network. One morning in November, she went to her drawer, pulled out her leg warmers, and came back into my room and did an arabesque right there by the tv cabinet. I was so proud! I couldn't get my camera fast enough. It was completely her doing. I hadn't taught her or coached her at all. I did get a picture, but in this one her leg is more bent than when she originally struck the pose.
And since she has also been caught doing a posse' from her "Peter is just a Baby" book that we got from the library (the big sister is a ballerina).

So I just thought you might enjoy that. Kids sure are a delight.
No comments:
Post a Comment