As most of you know, last Wednesday afternoon I left Mary and Jeff at home and traveled with Annabel and her honorary bridesmaid, (not really an official bridesmaid) Lahaila up to Beaver Creek for wedding festivities that would be happening the next several days. Before arriving at the condo (Annabel's parents don't own these condos but have first pick of them every year - and they were amazing), we met up with fellow bridesmaid, Elle (pronounced Ellie) and had dinner in Vail at a pizza joint that Jeff and I actually ate at when we went for our 10th anniversary trip called Vendetta's (I know. A strange name for a restaurant). It was very beautiful and lovely sitting outside. We actually moved in though because Lahaila didn't bring a jacket and it was getting cold. Then we arrived at our condo - Annabel's parents and grandparents and brother and future brother-in-law stayed in one and Annabel, her sister Izzi(MOH), us four bridesmaids (which includes a jr. bridesmaid) and two honorary bridesmaids stayed in the other condo. I shared a room with Elle. We each had our own beds. And there was a kitchen and living area and each room had their own bathroom.
(Outside of the condo)
Thursday, we got up, had breakfast that Annabel made (eggs, donuts, fruit)and went on a little hike in Vail. (Izzi, Annie, Annabel, Lahaila, Demi, Lulu, and Elle)
I picked a pretty bouquet of wild flowers as we walked along and afterwards we ate at a place in Vail. (Demi and Izzi with the wildflowers)
Then we went back and all showered and got ready for the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner that night. (Annabel and her Mom, Debbie)
(All the girls - Lahaila (honorary bridesmaid), Wednesday (honorary bridesmaid), Me (bridesmaid), Lulu (bridesmaid who is a cousin of Annabel's), Annabel, Elle (bridesmaid), Demi (Jr. bridesmaid - also a cousin), Izzi (Maid of Honor and sister of the bride), and Jennifer (wedding coordinator and friend of Annabel's).
Rehearsal went well. Then we were off to the restaurant (the evening was Cowboy themed) where Quinn's family was hosting. His step father sings in a band and they played for much of the evening making it very fun and festive. The Mexican food was good - particularly my chile relleno - and we all had fun dancing and chatting. I also presented Annabel and Quinn with a half finished "Engagement Memories" scrapbook - which everyone loved.
(Dancing - Annabel's Aunt, Mom, Dad, and Grandma)
A small tangent here - I tried and tried to bang out the album before I left - leaving all the cleaning and preparing for Charles and Ellen to poor Jeff. I wished also that I had spent a bit more time packing since I threw it all together in like 1/2 hr flat. But it all worked out I suppose. Anyway, the evening was tons of fun and successful and I enjoyed getting to talk with lots of Quinn's family in particular. Then back at the condo we all snacked while we watched Ever After and I finally admitted to myself that I HATE Drew Barrymore's acting in that movie. But it is still a good movie anyway : ).
Friday! Wedding Day!!!
Annabel's Dad made breakfast for everyone. Then, Annabel and Izzy and their mom went off to have massages and so while they were gone four of us walked around the block so-to-speak. When we got back, Annabel was back, and had been irritated that we weren't there to greet her or some such nonsense. And this REALLY irritated me - but mostly I think because I was hormonal. I showered and blew off some steam, cried a bit, and prayed and felt better.
For lunch, Annabel's parents furnished us with Subway platters and life was good. After that, we were shuttled to the Park Hyatt for hair updo appointments. I thought it was nice that they paid for this. Doesn't my hair look nice?
When I got back I had a little time to repack before getting ready. We were to get ourselves ready and then come help Annabel get ready while the photographer took pics. I brought my special "Fairy Dust" and all of us bridesmaids put it on and were extra sparkly! Annabel and I used this during Will Rogers - so it was a fun reminiscent thing for us. (Me in my dress)
(Elle (bridesmaid), Me (bridesmaid), Izzi (MOH), Lahaila (honorary bridesmaid but wasn't officially in the wedding party), Demi (jr. bridesmaid), and Wednesday (honorary bridesmaid but wasn't officially in the wedding party). Lulu (also a bridesmaid) was missing from this pic.)
Annabel looked absolutely stunningly gorgeous.
Next we were all off to the church to be photographed with the entire wedding party before the ceremony. Meanwhile, Jeff had driven up (Charles and Ellen - GrammE and Papa stayed overnight with Mary) and checked into the hotel, picked up my bags that were waiting downstairs. He was texting me about all the hidden costs that were popping up - valet, "resort fee", etc.
The ceremony was really nice and special and beautiful. I sang "How Great Thou Art". I did really well except for one note in which I'm not sure what happened but it was kind of wobbly or something. I wished I could've been perfect - or at least done my very best - but that is live singing for you. It just happens that way. But it must not have been too bad because it seemed I got a thousand compliments that night.
Next was the reception. And it was a little rough. Poor Annabel. She was not too happy about it. First they had to fix the cake after putting the cake topper on that was too heavy. Turned out okay. Next, a fuse blew and the music and mics were out for about 20 minutes. Then as Izzy was giving her toast, down comes an entire wall of white curtain. And then, the DJ . . . oh dear . . . I don't think he was playing with a full deck. As Jeff says, "He was hilarious". But maybe that's not nice. He just couldn't really speak well and was quite clueless. It made me feel a little better about the hiccups that Catherine had on her wedding day. But I did feel bad for Annabel. She spent so much time planning. I'm sure I would've been upset too. I think she made it worse on herself though. There wasn't anything she could do about it. And the guests didn't care. They were enjoying their surf and turf and the general splendor of it all. I wished that she could've enjoyed it more. (This is the only photo of the bride and groom that I have)
I definitely felt that I had been helpful and attentive to her though. I spent the evening fetching eyelash glue, being a listening ear, reassurring her, bringing her my brush up to her hotel room after she and Quinn had left because she didn't have hers. . . It was still a great time. (Oh, and I also drove her and Quinn to the airport Saturday evening and earlier in the day had been one of the spokeswomen for a prayer for the group of women.)
Jeff was a trooper and stayed the full time and smiled and was social. I was grateful that we could share this together.
Saturday morning we packed up and finished off the festivities with a killer brunch outside on the Hyatt patio.
It was so beautiful and yummy and fun for me.
It was sure fun to see how the rich folk do things and I felt so honored that Annabel had picked me to be one of only two "friend" bridesmaids (the others were family). But it was an expensive weekend and as Jeff said driving back down the mountain, "Christmas is cancelled". That's okay. It was worth it.
P.S. I have to give a shout out to Ellen and Charles. They did such a great job watching Mary. When I came back, Mary was a little different. Her vocabulary was bigger mostly. Anyway, I know she was happy with them and she keeps saying "GrammE" and "Papa" now. THANKYOU so much you guys!!!
You look BEAUTIFUL in your dress. I actually think the little jacket makes it look much more sophisticated:) Annabel is lucky to have you as a friend!
ReplyDeleteAh well, Christmas isn't really canceled. That's a figure of speech.
ReplyDeleteYou look gorgeous in those pics! What a fun time.
ReplyDelete