Thank goodness for the simple pleasures in life - a new outfit, something tasty to eat, or something beautiful in nature. When life gets hard, it is nice to have these comforts and also to enjoy a little escapism. After all, they say that the two industries that did well during the Great Depression were cosmetics and entertainment. Kind of gives more weight to the idea that I might've made a slight difference in people's lives when I performed for them. But I digress . . .
What better way to do enjoy a little escapism than to watch one of my most favorite movies, Pride and Prejudice. Now I must confess and disappoint many of you by saying I prefer the more recent Keira Knightly version to the BBC - takes a billion hours to get through - version. Though I really like Colin Firth, he isn't very attractive in the BBC version (Not so in Girl With a Pearl Earring though ; )). And many of the actors seem too old to be playing young ladies. I'm sure though, that if I had seen that one more, THAT would be my favorite. But hence, tis not so.
I LOVE the cinematography of the Keira Knightly version. Love the acting, love the casting . . .
I think one of the reasons I love it is because Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth's relationship reminds me of me and Jeff's relationship. Both people are so proud and stubborn. Jeff is Mr. Darcy in so many ways . . . Some of these quotes ring true to Jeff: "We all know him to be a proud, unpleasant sort of fellow", "'Do you dance Mr. Darcy?' 'Not if I can help it.'", "My good opinion once lost is lost forever." Jeff is also very honorable like Mr. Darcy.
Incidentally, in Jane Austen's Emma, the title characters also remind me of Jeff and me. Have I mentioned all this before? Seems like maybe I have. Hmmm . . .
Funny though. My Mom's bestfriend is Janice Kapp Perry - some of you may have heard of her ; ) (they became acquainted through collaborating and now are very close). And before JKP met me, she asked my Mom if I was more like Jane or Elizabeth. My Mom said I was actually more like Lydia!!! Can you believe that?!! : ) When this all came out awhile back, I reported it to Jeff and he agreed. *sigh*
Anywhoo . . . the point is just that I love this movie and I enjoyed watching it the past few days. And also just to tell you that I am indeed a dreamer. My Mom too mentioned this recently about herself. So I guess I get it from her. (Mom, I need you to send me your last update again so I can reread that part.) My being a dreamer was one of the reasons for the title of my blog (other reasons: life goes by as if it were a dream and life is good like a dream come true).
And I'm okay with that. I think you should dream big!
Name the following musical that this quote comes from . . . "Baby, dream your dream. Close your eyes and try it. Dream of three fat kids. Brother, would I buy it! Life could be frozen peaches and cream, if only I could dream, dream, dream, a dream."
Guess I could've also titled my blog LIFE IS A MUSICAL. What do you think? :)
Funny, that is my rare escape too sometimes (like once a year) watching P&P, but the long BBC version is my favorite!
ReplyDelete