Wow. This past month, Mary's signing vocabulary has really grown. It makes me so happy and proud! I am glad she has a few more tools to communicate.
So anyway, she knows the following signs:
more
eat
dog
potty
daddy
baby signing time
milk
And she is really working on:
all done
banana
drink
bird
cat
Last week, the most amazing thing happened. Previously, I would say something like "more?" and she'd sign more. Or I'd say, "Mary shall we go downstairs and eat breakfast?" and she'd sign eat. But last week after lunch one day, I put her in her baby zone. I try not to use the baby zone too much. But often when I do I will put on her baby signing time video so I can clean or cook for awhile. But this time I didn't because I only had to do a little cleaning. So I put her in the baby zone and went about my business. Then I look up at her and she is bouncing and smiling. It took me a second to realize, but she was signing "baby signing time". She wanted to watch her baby signing time video and was telling me so! It was very cool. And it was completely unprompted. (BTW, I knew she could sign this because before I would ask her, "do you want to watch baby signing time?" and she'd imitate the signs at the start of the video. She has asked now for the video 2 more times since. I'm so happy that there is another way that she can tell me what she wants.
Here is a video. Just a note: the signs for "baby signing time" are rocking a baby, then moving your hands in a circle around each other and then touching your wrist. When Mary does it, it doesn't look that perfect. She tries to do the circle, but it looks more like she's brushing her hands. Enjoy!
So, so cute!!! I love it when they can tell you what they want. It makes for a happy baby and happy mom! So fun!!
ReplyDelete