Monday, October 4, 2010

A Virtuous Woman?

"Who can find a virtuous woman? For her price is far above rubies." Proverbs 31:10

We are all familiar with this scripture right? Last week I read it, but also studied the scriptures following it that define what a virtuous woman is. I was interested to learn that beyond the obvious meaning of "virtuous", there is more to it. And I keep thinking about it, so I thought I'd blog it.

The scriptures following verse 10 mention the following:
Her husband trusts her
she will do him good all the days of her life
she worketh willingly with her hands
she provides food for her household
she shops (at least that is what I think it says)
she is fit
she is prepared
she layeth her hand to the spindle
she helps the needy
she clothes her household
her clothing is silk and purple (not sure what this means, but maybe that we should try to look respectful and not like a "shlumpadink"??? what do you think? ;))
her husband is known in the gates and he sits with the elders of the land
she makes linen - sells it and delivers to the merchant
strength and honor are her clothing
she opens her mouth with wisdom and kindness
she is not idle
her children and husband call her blessed and praise her
and
she fears the Lord.

I kept thinking how the work of a wife and mother makes you do many of these things. I decided a long time ago, that I truly did think there was much importance in making your home a sanctuary from the world and that being a mother was the most important work on earth.

But I can see that I still have much improvement to make before I feel like I am a completely virtuous woman.

1 comment: