Monday, October 11, 2010

Power Struggles

Lately I've been hearing "looks like your entering a new phase" or similar comments as people watch me run after Mary so she won't climb up the steps in Sacrament meeting or as she heads directly for the piano in Relief Society.

Today I felt like we had a few power struggles - Mary and me. I'd try to put her diaper on and she'd use the entire force of her little body to wriggle away from me (I would just let her go buck if I didn't have carpet . . .) or she'd want that pool of lipgloss that she opened and cried when I took it away. All along I've had to do this kind of thing . . .but she seems more determined now to have her way than before.

Here we go . . .

Today I was reminded of something my Mom has reminded us of a lot. Mormons believe that we existed spiritually in Heaven before we came to earth and that during that time, Jesus presented a plan that we would come to earth, get bodies, and be tried and tested and that we would use our agency to make choices for ourselves - whether those choices were good or bad. We also believe that Satan presented a plan that would allow us to come to earth but that our choices would be made for us. We believe that everyone who is on this earth chose Jesus's plan - that we would choose for ourselves and not be forced to do what was right.

So my Mom always says we were born with that will. We fought for that will. And babies do fight for their will! It is a part of our nature - we are born with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment