Friday, March 7, 2014

Summer Wrap-Up Part 4 - Swimming Lessons

I thought I should include a big part of our summer - Swimming Lessons!  Mary took two sessions back to back at the HR rec center.  It was fun.  We'd usually walk there - well I'd walk and push the kids in the sit and stand stroller- so I could get a little exercise, Mary would have her 30 minute lesson, and Jonathan would play in the shallow end.  Then we'd pack up and come home.  Perfect!

Mary had a fun time!  But I wouldn't describe her as a fish.  She didn't really like getting her face in the water.  But as the lessons continued, she got better and better as you will see.  Here are some pics:

First Day.  Isn't she adorable?

Her teacher, Christina.  Notice Mary keeping her head OUT of the water.  : )

Jonathan looking intent by the pool.  He liked to drag the chairs into the water.  Whatever floats your boat son!

Towards the end of the first session, Mary had made definite improvement.


Yay!  Certificate and sucker upon completion of first session.  Isn't it amazing how happy kids get at the reward of something simple - like a sucker?


Second session with instructor Matt.  By the end she still didn't love sticking her face in the water.  We will have to continue to work on that.  





One drawback to the swimming lessons, was that Mary developed some major skin reactions including eczema.  Had to finally go to the doctor to get it cleared up.

This is a result from all the scratching....  poor thing.

Here is something for which you can judge me...  I didn't realize that she really needed to rinse off after being in the pool.  She'd have her baths that night, and I just figured that would be sufficient.  Well, clearly I was WRONG.  But at least I learned my lesson.  : )  Even when she has gone and has rinsed off, her eczema rears back.  But we are more on top of it now.  So hopefully we won't have the same issues this year.  (I was just today trying to sign her up for more lessons.  Ran into some red tape.  Of course right?  ; )).


No comments:

Post a Comment