Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Memories

A few weeks ago, we all learned of the terrible shooting that took place in Aurora at the Century 16 movie theatre.

As most of you probably know, I was born and raised in Aurora.  Besides being incredibly sad that such a thing could happen - because of the location - it flooded my mind with all kinds of memories from growing up there.  That movie theatre wasn't built there until after I went to college.  But I have gone to it since then and it was across from a mall that I went to many a time and worked at (I had jobs at Lerner New York and Sears).   One of the main places where the reporting happened was Gateway High School - my Alma Mater.  And one of the hospitals where victims were sent was the very hospital I was born at. 

It made me think about my time at Gateway.  When they reported from the front of the school, I remembered standing on that very lawn learning a dance routine for Pom pon tryouts.  I remembered the hallways, friends, experiences, performances . . . I thought of the morning I learned about another tragedy that happened in Aurora whilst standing in those halls before seminary - when Sylvia Crowell had been shot at gunpoint in the Chuck E Cheese massacre.  And I thought of Columbine too. 

In more recent years, Aurora has become a more unsafe place than it had been growing up.  My sister, Beckie and I  had a running joke when she was living there as an adult . . .

"You know you live in the ghetto when . . .
 - there is a shooting in the park across from your house
 - your next door neighbor is murdered
 - your parents' next door neighbor walks around in his back yard wearing nothing but a thong
 and (my personal favorite . . .)
 - the Sacrament bread is moldy"

But though it has seen its fair share of crime and I wouldn't choose to live there anymore, I felt a strange sense of pride after these shootings.  That these people are survivors, hard workers, and good people.  The Latter-Day Saints there are humble and outstanding in many ways.  I have my parents and a sibling who live there still and lots of good, old, dear friends. 

Mostly though, I guess it was  a reminder of how fragile life can be and how those people's lives and future memories were cut short. 

May we cherish each day and continue to make our lives full of wonderful memories.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Annie! I also really enjoyed the last one as well.

    ReplyDelete