I will try to post some pictures later showing the repairs, the visit, and the reunion. But in the mean time I wanted to write a post about how our family is adjusting now that we have had baby Jonathan with us for two months.
Overall, I'd say that we have all adjusted very well. I will say though, that I feel like my hands are very full at the moment - that I am in the thick of things trying to handle a newborn, a toddler, and all the home responsibilities. I'm not where I want to be yet at all but I am getting out with both children regularly now, starting to get in some exercise, and trying to cook more.
In the first weeks after Jonathan was born, it was very strange for me to not be the one who was taking care of Mary. Jeff took two weeks of vacation time - which was great. But she was almost solely cared for by him. I missed her and yet it was the strangest feeling because I couldn't really worry about her. My focus completely shifted to the new baby. And whereas before I didn't care much at all about the baby inside me, now he was my new world. And I was thrown a bit by the loss of my violent affections toward Mary. I don't know if that makes any sense. But it was like a pendulum had swung from one end to the other. And now - now that I am caring for both of them again - the pendulum has swung back and settled into a happy medium. As I write about it now, I think this has been an interesting life experience - one that I wouldn't have understood as well - if I hadn't experienced it myself.
Jeff is adjusting well but trying to find his groove with the baby. Newborns are hard and just like their mommas more. But Jeff is doing really well. I'm hoping both of them will get more and more comfortable so that I will feel comfortable going to Kantorei rehearsals when they start up again at the end of this month.
Mary is doing well. She loves "Jonafun" or "Jonafinni" as she calls him. : ) She snuggles up next to him on the floor and helps put his pacifier in his mouth if I can't get to him right away. She kisses him and asks to hold him. There have a been a few times when she has been upset that he was in her stroller or similar things, but she doesn't seem to not like him because of it. So that makes me happy. Anyway, here are some pics of how things typically are these days now that we are a family of four. . .
Jonathan's first bath was an entire family event . . .
Jonathan rolling over . . . I have a video of him rolling over at 1 month old! He only did it a couple of times though and hasn't done it since. Still . . .One month old??! Crazy.
This is clearly a picture from the hospital but I wanted to include it here as this is a familiar scenario at our house. . .
So is this . . . I'm getting pretty good at doing things one-handed. The other day at the grocery store, Jonathan just wasn't happy in the wrap. So I held him in one hand, and pushed the cart/picked up items with the other.
Lots of snuggling babies . . .Mary plays with Jonathan and with his toys . . .
(I love that she is holding his hand)
Daddy is with Mary much of the time - I guess that isn't really all that different from before though. He has always helped with Mary. Doesn't he look handsome in this pic?
Baby Jonathan slept in his Moses basket for about the first two months.
About two weeks ago, he just was too long for it and now is sleeping in his crib almost exclusively. Sure doesn't like those arms swaddled. : )
(nothing like having a new baby to make your older baby seem huge!)
As mentioned, Mary just didn't like that she wasn't in the stroller anymore and we knew we would get lots of use from having a double (sit and stand) stroller. We've already used it a lot.
Moby wrap comes in handy for sure!
One of Jonathan's smiles . . .
And another . . .
And another . . .
And one where I'm told he looks like me . . .
And just another cute pic . . .
I don't know about you, but I think he's pretty gorgeous!
I'm loving our Family of Four and feeling very blessed!
(Sorry no pic of all four of us. I don't have a single one. Better get a snappin'.)
No comments:
Post a Comment