Sunday, July 8, 2012

"Like A Good Neighbor"

Remember when you were a little kid and you found out your best playmate was moving away?  How much it sucked?  How it was such a bummer?  How you hoped things wouldn't change, but you found out they would?

Well, it has happened again in my life . . .

I've mentioned on here before about my good friend and next door neighbor, Angie and her family.  She reads this blog, and I'm hoping this post won't make her uncomfortable at all . . . I mentioned to her that I might do a post about it.  But . . .  . she is moving.  *sigh*

We (Angie and I) knew it was coming.  And as I've mentioned on here before, it is just a matter of time before Jeff and I move.  But we've come to be good friends.  Really good friends. 

It started out simple . . . I'd call her up and ask if she had any sour cream I could borrow.  Then she'd call and ask if I had any yeast.  I tell you it is really nice to be able to call on a neighbor when you're in the middle of fixing dinner and realize you spaced picking something up at the store. 

When Jeff and I first lived in this house and Angie and family moved in, we weren't very close.  But as the years have passed and I've had children, we've had more and more in common.  How great is it to be outside picking weeds or having a picnic with your 2 year old, to then have a friend who is in your same circumstance with kids similar ages, come out and join you and share in some adult conversation while your kids play together?  How great is it that we have similar values and know many of the same people?  How wonderful is it to be able to share the daily struggles, fears, and joys of parenthood and womanhood and to help each other out with advice or just a listening ear? 

Pretty great.



As a kid, I was very confident and always had lots of friends.  I'm one of the rare few in this world who can say they actually enjoyed middle school and high school.  But I've found as an adult that friendships are harder to come by.  I'm not sure why that is.  Maybe I'm more picky?  Maybe life responsibilities get in the way?  For me, I think, I'm also a little different as an adult . . . maybe not as self assured or can open up to other people as well.  It just takes me longer now to find a good friend.  So when I do, it is a great blessing in my life.

The good thing is that they aren't moving far - still within the ward boundaries.  We will still see each other and get to visit each other.  And I'm sure I'll call her if I need a hand and I'm hoping she'll do the same.  But I will miss the near daily interactions - the kids playing together, the fun conversations, the security of a friend close by. 


The scriptures say, "To everything there is a season and a time and purpose under Heaven".  I'm grateful for this time that our families have shared together and to have a good friend.

What a cute family aye?



And I'm hoping Mary will get to join it some day.  I'm joking!  Well half-way joking at least : ) 

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally blushing! You give me far to much credit. But I have to say the hardest thing about moving is moving away from you! It's soooo nice having you next door and we all love Mary. And I think Jeff doesn't even mind us now:) I remember the day we moved in and you brought us banana bread and welcomed us to the neighborhood (the only person that did). I know it won't be the same...but I'm glad we are still close by! Once you are my friend there's no getting away from me!

    ReplyDelete