Yesterday I was looking at this picture (Mary loves playing in the real car) and it reminded me of that Subaru commercial. You know the one right? The one with the dad talking to his daughter who is sitting in the car? Well if you don't, and even if you do, Here is the link.
A couple of days ago, someone asked me how old Mary was and I replied "18 months. Um . . uh . . . actually she is 19 months". I am usually aware when the day rolls around each month - but it completely escaped me this time.
Jeff said the sweetest thing yesterday. He said, "It is too bad Mary is going to have to go live with someone else someday". I guess I had never thought of that. To me her leaving doesn't seem like a sad thing, but I'm sure I will feel differently as I come to it. And yesterday, I was thinking of what Jeff had said and the thought came to my mind, "Mary will want to leave us". That is what is natural and good.
I remember being a teenager. Do you? I honestly don't know one teen that - though they loved their parents - didn't want to exercise their own independence and build their own life and let's face it . . . not have to put up with their parents.
It is healthy - at least I think so - for kids to want to leave. It means you have done your job well.
And speaking of leaving . . . we have a few big milestones this year in our family. My niece Hannah is graduating this week and off to BYU Idaho next fall. She is a very good girl and we are all proud of her.

And also my sister Catherine will be getting married this summer (hopefully! The Denver Temple Closing has wreaked havoc on her wedding plans and at this point we don't know what will happen). Here is the dress she is hoping to get (she already got one over the internet and doesn't love it - I TRIED to warn her). I hope she will get to wear this one. It is so beautiful on her.
So anyway, I know it won't be long before it will be Mary doing these things.
I remember hearing parents always comment on that before I had Mary. But it does sort of suprise you doesn't it? I guess it's the fact that so much happens in such a short time . . . it makes you realize the passage of time more. You don't notice it as much as an adult because you feel essentially the same. But having a child - it reminds you how fast it all happens.
So Mary keeps growing and is doing more and more each day. Instead of "bu" for book she now says "boo-ck". It's two syllables don'tcha know?. : ) And she seems to get taller or more and more teeth or hair all the time. Oh! And yesterday was her first day without using her sassy (pacifier). She did just fine. I thought it might end up being more of a fight than it was. And I'm grateful it wasn't. Now the only thing that makes her seem like a baby is her being in diapers still. But I don't think that milestone will be that far away either.
For now though, this is what she is driving.
I've had a renewed determination lately to enjoy this journey and savor it and take advantage of it as long as I can. Because soon she will be potty trained, talking in sentences, reading, going to school, hanging out with friends, driving a real car, graduating, and getting married. It really won't be long.
What a fun post Annie!!!! I loved it. How much is Catherine's dream dress? It makes me want to donate to a dress fund for her ;-)
ReplyDeleteWhat's with the Temple closing????
It does go fast...and I love that commercial:)
ReplyDeleteTesting comments...
ReplyDelete