Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Presentation Summary

Last night, I gave a presentation to the ladies in my Relief Society. I was asked to share how developing my talents has blessed my life and the lives of others. I was nervous about it, but I feel that it went pretty well. And I am glad to have it overwith. It was a fun assignment in lots of ways (I wasn't really complaining earlier - it was just stressful) and it was fun to reflect back and think about those things. I thought I might share some of it with all of you and some fun pics from performing days. . .

So I started my presentation by giving a little of my background - which I won't share here (just too lengthy - and many of you know a lot of it anyway). But then I talked about how developing my talents has blessed my own life. Here are the main points I shared:
Developing my talents has . . .
* Brought so much joy and fun and laughter into my life

(This is a publicity photo for BDT's Crazy For You)


* I have been exposed to truly amazing works of art and so many talented people

(Scrooge (Phillip Pleasants) and Me from A Christmas Carol with the Denver Center Theatre Company)


* Besides learning how to play the piano, sing, etc., I have learned . . .
- how to work
- how to memorize
- how to set a goal and achieve it
- to be disciplined
- how to deal with disappointment
- how many more people in the world are more talented than me
- how to take care of my body and be comfortable in it
- ultimately it has taught me what is most important in life - which is not singing and dancing - it is family and the gospel of Jesus Christ
* As a young person, developing my talents gave me a sense of identity, accomplishment, and gave me confidence
* It has given me a vast number of VARIED opportunities - from leading roles, to teaching kids, to choreographing the youth in our stake for a regional dance festival, to singing at funerals, to teaching a blind student dance, to playing for Catholic mass. All of these experiences have added to the tapestry of my life and helped me relate to people and just expanded my horizons.
* It has made me feel good about myself . . . Some of my proudest achievements are when I won my division in NATS in college (a vocal competition), when I won the regional Sylvan Learning Center award for Teacher of the Year, or that I got to work at the Denver Center.

(This next photo is from The Frug from Sweet Charity at BDT. I was the dance lead and received some nice comments in the Denver Post review)

* One of the greatest blessings have been the relationships (including my husband) that I have met through developing my talents

(A pic of me and my good friend Annabel. We met doing the Will Rogers Follies also at BDT)


* It has been a nice way to serve in the church
* I've received financial blessings - scholarships and employment
* It has blessed my physical and mental health

How Have I blessed others?

Well this is a bit harder to know . . . I know Mary likes when I sing to her : ) . . .
But hopefully I have:
* Passed on some of my skills and knowledge

(A pic from The Sound of Music at BDT. I've gotten to work with tons of kids throughout my life.)


* Brought joy to others

(Another Will Rogers pic. I played "Z's Favorite" - a really fun character to play as you might guess from the pic)


* Helped to invite the Spirit in church meetings
* Shown people that Mormons are good people and helped to dispel some of the negativity out there about my religion

(The Birds from A Year With Frog and Toad at the Arvada Center - one of the most satisfying shows I got to do probably. Had religious discussions with one of the girls in this cast).

* Hopefully I will also pass on the legacy that was given to me in some way to my own children

I guess that is it. I'm sure there is more ways that I have been blessed that I haven't mentioned here. But I really have had a pretty awesome life. And developing my talents has been a big part of that.

I only wish I had MORE talents and MORE time to do everything. So many of you are talented and I am constantly amazed by all of you. : )

4 comments:

  1. You are SO cute!! Wowzers! Let me know the next time you're in a production... I would love to come! You are truly impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure you are the most talented person I know! I also like your outlook on everything, you are very positive and obviously don't take things for granted. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie! Look how cute you look in these. Makes me miss dancing days. Now we dance differently don't we? Through the tasks of daily life with little ones on our feet :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these pics! I hope you are going to keep everything and form some sort of memory book!

    ReplyDelete