A couple of weeks ago, it dawned on me that Mary was over 13 months old and wasn't walking yet. I wasn't too worried, but of course I was just a little as I think women are wired to worry.
Anyway, I read up on the different milestone websites and discovered that yes, this is totally fine and normal and that I shouldn't worry.
But I have found myself feeling like I have to explain to everyone that she isn't walking yet . . . especially when they ask how old she is. *sigh* I'm annoyed with myself for that. No one else is worried and I know how far along she is in other ways.
Let this be a life lesson to myself. Mary will develop just as she is supposed to and that will be fine.
Jeff and I were musing about it a few nights ago. We were discussing how she just wasn't really motivated to walk yet. Why would she be? She can crawl faster from point A to point B than walk. Jeff and I both had to laugh: this is a very familiar sort of trait that is quite reminiscent of her father. He will do things his own way and in his own time and you can't make him do it if he doesn't want to thank you very much!
So this morning I was talking to my SIL (sister-in-law) and while discussing all of this it dawned on me, "Oh. As soon as she starts walking she won't be my little baby anymore." And then I didn't want her to walk yet. And was completely happy to have her hang onto my legs as we walk from room to room. Awww. . . I love my sweet baby angel cutie pie angel heart!
But isn't it ironic that as soon as I had that revelation, tonight she took her first steps unassisted? We've been practicing every night - the three of us - for just a few tries from Daddy to Momma. Then tonight she took a few steps toward me on her own and then later - during Family Home Evening - completely uncoaxed from either of us - she took some steps from where I was over toward the piano bench - parent free.
So here she goes. She's taken her first steps. I'm sure it will be a few weeks more before she is really cruising. But in the meantime, I'm going to enjoy every second.
hooray for Mary girl! it is all going too fast--but every new milestone is so wonderful at the same time! we love you all!
ReplyDeletelove,
j