Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Family Update

Well, after this post, I think I will officially be all caught up!  Yay!!!

Since Christmas, things have been pretty low-key around here.  I made a real effort in January and February to try to stay home/not add too much to our schedules so I could get myself reorganized.  And while it has been a slow process, it is coming together bit by bit.  My sister, Beckie and I have talked a lot lately about, "chipping away" at our to-do lists.  I like that... just been slowly chipping away at the seemingly insurmountable tasks that I have.

In the meantime, here is what has been going on with each of us individually.

JEFF is doing well.  Our family had some sickness in January and February (like most people did).  It was a pretty bad season all around I felt like.  And so, Jeff had some of that too.  But mostly he has been well.  He has been working on getting our house ready to sell... got a storage unit and has been moving boxes a few days a week.  He also turned 39 in February.  Pretty crazy.  I know we are getting older, but I still feel the same.  Funny how that works.

I'M doing about the same as always.  I did get a new calling at church - Young Women's Secretary.  I'm pretty excited for the change.  I have various worries about my children all the time - but nothing that keeps me up at night.  I think it is natural for a parent to constantly worry if they are enough, if they do enough, etc.  I think I'm a good parent, but I stress sometimes that I'm not.  I wish I could enjoy more and not worry as much.

MARY is doing well I think.  She doesn't want to sit in her chair in primary and has thrown some pretty memorable fits lately.  But I THINK/HOPE it is all normal.  She is really into the movie Tangled right now and spends a lot of time talking about long hair, brushing her pretend hair (her blanket), drawing pictures of long hair and then cutting if off.....  You get the idea.  She does a lot of painting/coloring/drawing on her white board these days - and she likes to be dressed her pink princess dress up with fairy wings.  She also likes to play on my IPAD and so I'm having to start to limit her screen time.  She is signed up for preschool this fall - two days a week with a lady in our stake.  She will be in class with 5 other kids.  I'm excited about it and I think Mary will love it.  We went to her teacher's house and saw the set up and talked with her - Miss Leigh - and I think Mary will love her!

JONATHAN is getting older (9 months already!) and hitting lots of milestones.  He has four teeth now,  is sitting up, pulling up on his knees and feet, eating lots of different kinds of food, and signing (milk).   He still army crawls, but he will go up on his knees and he also likes to pike a lot.  It is SO adorable.  He is starting to get into a bit of trouble - wants to go down stairs, open cabinet doors, play with cords, etc. and so I have to make sure he is always in a safe spot.  He isn't sleeping through the night yet and I feel that I need to bite the bullet soon and start letting him cry a bit more at night instead of just going in right away.  I hate it when he cries, but I think it is important that they learn to go back to sleep.  He is pretty attached to me- which is both wonderful and hard at the same time.  Anyway, he is a joy for sure.  He is happy and sweet and such a cute little guy.  I could just eat 'im up!

Here are some pics:
Mary taking her dog's temperature

and playing dolls (she's been more into dolls lately than previously).  Their names from left to right...White ee, Butterfly-ee, Momma, and Daddy


In December, I participated in a busy bag swap where we each made an activity in a bag and made 20 of them and then we all swapped.  Mary has really enjoyed her activities.



Before Jonathan began sitting up at the table with us for breakfast, I would set him in the family room to play with toys.  But then he would inch his way in to the kitchen to be with us.  So cute right?



Now Jonathan joins us... Mary sits at the table now and Jonathan sits in the highchair.


Mary the Artist:
Drawing Rapunzel's hair.... (I have been fascinated to see her drawings changing as she understands more)
...And then cutting if off : )

Other projects....


Making Valentines....  I have an adorable video of her as she is "writing" a note to her friend, Nadia.  She says..."Nadia Sullins, You are cute so I give you a heart.  And you'll always love it and it's from Mary Sullins."

Artist hands

Mary combing her Rapunzel hair...

And brushing Momma's hair...

Happy boy Jonathan


Good friends

So glad they love each other.



I got some new glasses recently and brought the children along.  Mary wanted these glasses for herself sooooooooo bad.  Even at half off, $45 was just too much to spend on a toy "just because".  Maybe another time?  Doesn't she look so stinkin' adorable though?

Mary was assigned to give the scripture and prayer in Primary a couple of weeks ago.  We practiced at home with our own microphone.  I have to say - even though she kind of acted silly - you could hear her and understand her words pretty well.  She didn't really start being silly until before church that morning.  I tried to tell her not to be silly, but she moved the pitch of her voice from low to high with almost every few words when she actually did it in primary.  I tried really hard to not giggle myself - thereby giving her attention for it - and I did pretty well.  But all the other primary kids thought she was funny and that only made her want to do it more.  Goodness me.  What am I to do?



Jonathan was doing this all the time the last month or so.  He has kind of grown out of it now.  But, oh!  It was so sweet.

Now he sits up, 



Kneels up, 




and stands up!!!



And we just finished his Baby Elite class at the library with Miss Nancy.  I'm really glad I did it...It was nice to have time with just Jonathan.  Plus, I haven't given him nearly the reading time I gave Mary.  I'm doing better lately though.






Well, I think that about sums it all up!  My kiddies are growing up fast!!!


2 comments:

  1. Hooray that you are all caught up! I also have really relished my winter this year and all the time I have had to reorganize and think through my goals.
    You sound like someone else that had small children who used to worry too much... me. You used to tell me to not worry so much. I think it gets a bit better as you get more experience.
    You are a great mama! Can't wait to see you and your adorable kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love Ms. Leigh! Mary will love her too :)

    ReplyDelete